Saturday, October 3, 2015

Point of View Sew Along Part II

Welcome to the second part of my Point of View Sew Along. In this post I’ll be discussing cutting and piecing the patches.  For the full instructions you should download the free pattern at the RJR Fabrics website, here.

From each of the seven prints, I cut 8 large triangles from the 9 3/4" squares (as described in the pattern download). In the same manner I created 8 smaller triangles from the 7 1/8” squares.


Cutting the striped pieces was a bit trickier. Not hard but I had to work slowly and carefully.

Here are the finished pieces for the quilt top, all spread out. I’m ready to start piecing.

First, I chain pieced the white squares.

After I attached and trimmed my white triangle tips, I arranged all the pieces on my design wall.  By doing so, I was able to distribute the fabric patterns to my liking.

I sewed individual patches, and then replaced them into the design on the wall. This way I could keep the quilt top organized and see how it was progressing. 

Tip: Before I started piecing I took a photo of the arrangement so at any time I could refer to the placement of each patch. I printed the photo and marked which way was up. I referred to this “blueprint” constantly.

 There are several ways one might choose to create the decorative stitches.

Once the units were formed, I embroidered them by running two strands of thread through my machine needle so that the stitches really stand out.    

Some quilters can't or don't like to turn the quilt during the quilting process, but you could add this embellishment later on as quilted stitches.  Another alternative would be to use hand quilted stitches in a pretty color.


For me, the best part of piecing is when I sew the last pieces together. I know... finally, right?



Here is the finished top! All ready to be basted, quilted and bound. More on that in my next post along with a give-away announcement!


No comments:

Post a Comment